[horde] Speed up device wipe over ActiveSync

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Dec 31 19:00:00 UTC 2015

Quoting Samuel Wolf <samuel at sheepflock.de>:

> Hi,
>
> I activate wipe on a Android 5 ActiveSync device over the Horde GUI.
>
> At the end it need approximately 18 hours before the device execute the wipe.
> It was not a problem of the data connection since the device was in
> the local wifi.
>
> Is there any chance to speed up this process?
> If I lost a device 18 hours are really long (know it could wipe earlier).

The wipe command isn't "pushed" to the device without the device
sending a request first. It needs to be actively connected to the
server and requesting something.

The wipe command can only be sent to the device in response to a
PROVISION request. When the wipe is requested, we set a bit in the
server-side device state. This is checked on each request, and if
found, instead of answering the request normally, we send a command
that tells the device to re-provision. When it sends the PROVISION
command, this is when the wipe command is sent back to the device. We
also remove the existing policy key, just in case (a missing key also
triggers a PROVISION).

So, either the device wasn't actively synchronizing, it didn't send
the provision command when it should have, or maybe it was in the
middle of a long running PING cycle (though those should only last 59
minutes at the most). I can check to see if there is something we can
do within the PING cycle to force the cycle to end sooner.

Have a great New Year!

--
mike
The Horde Project