[horde] Multiples instances

Ob Noxious obnox3 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 03:28:45 UTC 2016

Hi,

Congratulations on the global quality of Horde products, this is a really
nice piece of software.

The docs say that the prefered install method is PEAR but I'm facing a
problem and I fail to see a good way to workaround it.

I'm using Ubuntu Server 14.04 and I need to have different, separated and
totally unrelated Horde installed on the same server.

A typical example : I need both Ingo and Kronolith but being separated
because they're not used by the same people at all.

The docs talk about a separate PEAR installation from the system but I
don't like the idea of having to mess around with duplicated PEAR installs.

I don't use Apache at all but NGinX + PHP-FPM so a simple "SetEnv
PHP_PEAR_SYSCONF_DIR" won't do the trick and I'll be forced to manage a
PHP-FPM pool for each instance of Horde which is inconvenient :-(

When installing horde/horde_role we must define "horde_dir" preference so I
duplicated /etc/pear/pear.conf to /etc/pear/pear-other.conf and set there a
new value for "horde_dir".

I installed Ingo with all options I need :

Shell# pear install horde/ingo pear/net_dns2 horde/Horde_ManageSieve
channel://pear.php.net/Auth_S
ASL2-0.1.0

All went well and the application is installed.

Then, I tried to install it again as a separate instance to test if it
works.

Shell# pear -c /etc/pear/pear-other.conf config-set -c horde horde_dir
/path/to/other/Ingo
Shell# pear -c /etc/pear/pear-other.conf install horde/ingo pear/net_dns2
horde/Horde_ManageSieve channel://pear.php.net/Auth_S
ASL2-0.1.0
Ignoring installed package horde/ingo
Ignoring installed package pear/net_dns2
Ignoring installed package horde/Horde_ManageSieve
Ignoring installed package pear/Auth_SASL2
Nothing to install

Mhmm... as I feared, from PEAR's point of view, these packages are already
installed. When I try to force :

Shell# pear -c /etc/pear/pear-other.conf install -f horde/ingo
pear/net_dns2 horde/Horde_ManageSieve channel://pear.php.net/Auth_S
ASL2-0.1.0
[... stripped output ...]
install ok: channel://pear.horde.org/ingo-3.2.7
install ok: channel://pear.php.net/Net_DNS2-1.4.1
install ok: channel://pear.horde.org/Horde_ManageSieve-1.0.0
install ok: channel://pear.php.net/Auth_SASL2-0.1.0

It installs the specified packages but nothing else, not the implicit yet
required dependencies (the whole Horde framework).

So, is there a right way to benefit from the system installed PEAR and have
multiple, separated and independant Horde components installed ?

Otherwise, I see myself entering a admin-maintaining nightmare quickly...

Thanks for any advice.

--
ObNox