[horde] horde infra sizing

Michael C. Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Wed May 25 22:04:37 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-05-25 at 17:02 +0200, Guillaume Demillecamps wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am asked to evaluate the feasibility to host a horde-based
> groupware, for about 100 users. I was wondering how I could try to
> evaluate the capacity in terms or CPU/RAM... I intend to set up a
> dedicated Virtual Machine, running FreeBSD, and use PostgreSQL for
> about everything except emails in Cyrus-imap. Many people will use
> mobile device connected through Activesync, too.
>
> And if there are any numbers for bandwidth requirements, that'd be
> perfect too.
>
> Thanks for any help/hint !
>

> Guillaume D.

How about using local wifi and a staging environment?  Find out the
bandwidth requirements for one mobile device and multiply by the number
of mobile devices that bandwidth figure by the number of mobile devices
you expect to serve concurrently.  Serving one client can be done using
a cheap PC.  If you need a blade server or something even more
powerful, you should be able to run horde on that.  Another thought,
can you deploy Horde in the cloud?  The advantage of cloud computing is
that you can easily scale up to serve larger client loads or down to
deal with drops in demand.  Depending on your needs and security
considerations, cloud computing can be a welcome alternative to
maintaining your own high end data center.