[horde] connecting horde to openldap - almost there

Spyros Tsiolis stsiol at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 18 11:45:46 UTC 2016

Hello again all,

In regards to connecting horde with openldap.
I think I am on the right track.

I edited "turba/config/backends.php" (Jan , thank you for this again)
and took away most of the examples except the one that connects turba
to openldap.

Heres' the code :

--------------------------
$cfgSources['localldap'] = array(
    // Disabled by default
    'disabled' => false,
    'title' => _("Shared Directory"),
    'type' => 'ldap',
    'params' => array(
        'server' => 'openldapserver.home.local',
        'port' => 389,
        'tls' => false,
        'root' => 'dc=home,dc=local',
        'bind_dn' => 'cn=admin,ou=contacts,dc=openldapserver,dc=home,dc=local',
        // For Active Directory:
        // 'bind_dn' => 'username at example.com',
        'bind_password' => '<PASSWORD_ENTERED_HERE>',
        'sizelimit' => 200,
        // For Active Directory:
        // 'sizelimit' => 0,
        'dn' => array('cn'),
        'objectclass' => array('top',
                               'person',
                               'organizationalPerson',
--------------------------

As far as I can understand this, what I am after are roughly lines 2 to 15 in the
code shown above.

However, when I try to access the "Shared Directory" through "Address Books" a red
message pops-up at the lower-right hand side of the browser :

(-) Bind failed: (49) Invalid Credentials

I am pretty sure that credentials are fine. I verified credentials with the help of
"phpldapadmin" and I can log in fine from there.
The password being used has no special symbols; It starts and ends with a dot
("."). The rest of it is numbers and letters.

Ubuntu 14.04 (x86)
Horde Groupware 5.2.15 (pear install from command line)
For OpenLDAP, there's only one user called "admin" accessing an ou called
"contacts". No other users. At the moment there's only "administrator" and
one user that accesses Horde Webmail.

Any help would be welcome,

Regards,

s.t.