[horde] Servermigration

Dirk Weller do.weller at bdjl.de
Fri Jul 29 13:51:28 UTC 2016

Dear Horde-lists users,

I've been running Horde (now: Horde 5 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32 bit) for a
long period of time (roughly 8 years) on a virtualized system. We are
now migrating to a new virtualization system which means that I have to
completely reinstall Ubuntu (change to 64 bit) and Horde 5 and migrate
the user settings, PGP keys, calendars, address-books, todo-lists,
mailboxes etc. pp. of my more than 150 users.

I am wondering about the best way to go about this task and have been
thinking about the following two migration-paths:

1. Install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on new machine, pear install Horde 5 there,
dump Horde MySQL DB on old machine and transfer it (together with the
users and mailboxes etc.) to my new machine. Then upgrade Ubuntu 14.04
to 16.04 on the new machine.

2.  Install Ubuntu 16.04 on new machine, pear install Horde5, upgrade
old machine to Ubuntu 16.04, MySQL dump Horde DB on old machine and then
transfer it (together with the users and mailboxes) to my new machine.

I hope that somebody could shine a light on the right way and help me
sort out some of my questions:

Is there a recommended / better way to go about this task?
Should I continue with PHP5 or use PHP7 on the new system?

Thank you in advance for helping me sort out my mess!

Regards, Dirk