[horde] Where does gollem store the uploaded files?

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sat Nov 19 16:28:17 UTC 2016

Quoting Frank Lienhard <frank at mclien.de>:

> On 11/19/2016 04:51 PM, Michael J Rubinsky wrote:
>>
>> Quoting Frank Lienhard <frank at mclien.de>:

>>> Nothing, because there is only an
>>> gollem/config/backends.d/10-groupware.php
>>> which is the default and says this:
>>> ---------------
>>> <?php
>>> $backends['ftp']['disabled'] = true;
>>> $backends['sqlhome']['disabled'] = false;
>>> $backends['sqlhome']['name'] = 'Home';
>>> ---------------------
>>>
>>> So if I understand the example in gollem/config/backends.php correctly:
>>>  *   - home: (string) The directory that will be used as home directory
>>> for the
>>>  *           user. This parameter will overrule a home parameter in the
>>> params.
>>>  *           If empty, this will default to the active working directory
>>>  *           immediately after logging into the VFS backend (i.e. for
>>> ftp,
>>>  *           this will most likely be ~user, for SQL based VFS backends,
>>>  *           this will probably be the root directory).
>>>
>>> this means it is stored in a vfs (Virtual File System of SQL)?
>>>
>>> That would be I simply can't find it on file system level?
>>
>> Correct, these settings connect to the SQL based VFS (normally stored in
>> the horde_vfs table).
>>
> OK, I'm not a DB expert, but when I think of uploading pictures or such,
> isn't that a bit overkill and resource-consuming?

Yes, it is. However, it's the only backend guaranteed to work out of
the box - without making assumptions about directory structures etc...
This is why it's the default when installing via the Groupware Bundles
- a bundle designed to be an easy out of the box solution for people
not wanting to install and configure each application separately.

> Anyway, If I change this to a file-based method, should I firstly delete
> all uploads to get the database cleared?

If your users don't need them, sure.

> In my case I think I should use this backend then?:
> // NOTE: /exampledir/home and all subdirectories should be, for
> // security reasons, owned by your web server user and mode 700 or you
> // will need to use suexec or something else that can adjust the web
> // server effective uid.
> $backends['file'] = array(
>     // Disabled by default
>     'disabled' => true,
>     'name' => 'Virtual Home Directories',
>     'driver' => 'file',
>     'hordeauth' => true,
>     'params' => array(
>         // The base location under which the user home directories live.
>         'vfsroot' => '/exampledir/home/',
>         // The default permissions to set for newly created folders and
> files.
>         // 'permissions' => '750'
>     ),
>     'loginparams' => array(),
>     'root' => '/',
>     'home' => $GLOBALS['registry']->getAuth(),
>     // 'createhome' => false,
>     // 'filter' => '^regex$',
>     // 'quota' => false,
>     'shares' => true,
>     'attributes' => array(
>         'type',
>         'name',
>         'share',
>         'edit',
>         'download',
>         'modified',
>         'size',
>     )
> );
> As I'm on a shared hosting, I guess I need to set some parameters correctly.
> 'vfsroot':  gollem/files (where files need to be 700)

This should probably be a fully qualified path. Also, this would put
your VFS under the gollem directory. Not sure if that's what you want
or not. Most likely you'd want a separate path for your vfs if possible.

> 'root' : ? (the webusers home-dir?)

This is explained in the top of backends.php.

> uncomment // 'createhome' => false, (since I do that manually)
>
> Do I need to to something with the 'home' line depending on what auth
> system I use?

$registry->getAuth() returns the current username (regardless of auth
backend), so it is used as the directory name of the user's home
directory.