[horde] ActiveSync licensing

Grouchy Sysadmin sysadmin at i.grouchysysadmin.com
Mon Jan 9 17:38:29 UTC 2017

> Quoting Ricardo Buchalla Auada <rauada at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi there !
>>
>> I have tried to understand about the protocol ActiveSync licencing model.
>>
>> But the only information so far I have found is an email from Jan Schneider
>> explaining that if the server is hosted in Germany, there would have no
>> need for licensing ...
>>
>> https://lists.horde.org/archives/horde/Week-of-Mon-20120514/044258.html
>>
>> Can anyone bring some more light over this issue ?
>
> This is a complicated issue. As I have come to understand it, as the
> developers of a FOSS project that implements the protocol we are
> generally safe from the need for a license on the patent. As the
> owner of a server that installs the code provides this service to
> others, you may be required to license the patent. Another FOSS
> project, Z-Push (who is based in the EU and whose code we forked
> many years ago to base our ActiveSync library on) takes the view
> that a license is not required for installing the server software.
> You can Google for some of the discussions around that if you desire.
>
> In the US you are technically required to license the patent if you
> are the owner of a server providing the protocol. In the EU I'm not
> sure (I am based in the US and unfamiliar with European patent
> issues). I do know that there have been licensing actions regarding
> EAS in the EU involving large companies. Again, you can search for
> the particulars on this.
>
> Additionally, it's hard to come by authoritative information without
> speaking directly to MS since MS requires licensees to sign an NDA,
> preventing them from discussing the details. Your best bet to be
> 100% safe is to inquire with MS directly.
>
> Standard disclaimer applies: I am not a lawyer nor have I
> contacted/received information from Microsoft regarding this issue.
> This is simply MY understanding of the current status of the issue.
>

>> Best regards,
>>
>> --
>> Ricardo Buchalla Auada
>> --

> mike
> The Horde Project
> http://www.horde.org
> https://www.facebook.com/hordeproject
> https://www.twitter.com/hordeproject

I am also based in the US, and I spoke with MS about this a few years
ago. My understanding is that using ActiveSync as part of a service,
requires you to purchase licensing. The terms/pricing are covered by
an NDA. Here's a starting point,
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/IntellectualProperty/IPLicensing/Default.aspx and
http://celaiplicensing.azurewebsites.net/pages/IPlicensing.aspx

Same standard disclaimer applies. Talk to Microsoft.