[horde] [Tickets #14550] Re: Active sync via outlook resulting in memory exhausted

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Feb 1 19:18:52 UTC 2017

Quoting Porter Rawls <prrawls at bastmail.net>:

> For what its worth i have this same issue on one of my email boxes
> with 10880 messages in it.  I;ve tried to increase the php memory in
> the php.ini file, (up to 1GB) but no avail all the memory is
> consumed.  I just have to use the web client to use that mailbox.
>  It seems (i think) that outlooks tries and enumerate all the emails
> in the mailbox before a sync and this causes a out of memory
> condition on the server.  Don't know if this is a "bug" or outlook
> just being outlook...

Thanks for the feedback.

This isn't how EAS works though. The only time EVERY email message in
a mailbox is listed is during the first few syncs (and we split this
up in ordder to avoid exactly the type of issue you describe).

However, depending on the IMAP server capabilities we must store in
the database backend either the list of email UIDs OR a list of UIDs
together with flag information for every message. Perhaps in your case

The original report indicates a code path that is only reached for
certain types of attachments (TNEF or DAT).