[horde] Horde stops working if firewall blocks external domain

Louis-Philippe Allard lp.allard.1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 15:02:43 UTC 2017

Hello list,

I have a Horde Webmail 5.2.17 up to date running on a Centos 7 VPS.
MySQL database is hosted on another VPS ont he same LAN.
Communication between VPS'es is 100% functional without any issues.

Once in a while I login to Horde which uses IMP as my auth
application. IMP uses my Gmail account to authenticate me to Horde.
All has been working well until I made some changes to my firewall and
added the domain "ssl.google-analytics.com" to a block list (it is
part of an automated blocklist feed from iblocklist.com).

What happens is that I am working in Horde (calendar, emails, tasks,
etc) then all of a sudden, connectivity stops, the apps are not
responding, and I see the red popup at the bottom corner of the screen
saying "Error communicating with server".

I have successfully connected this type of incident with the firewall
logs and indeed it is when "ssl.google-analytics.com" is blocked.

My question is: why is horde insisting to connect to an outside domain
(google's in this case) when it is not necessary?  All data is stored
in a local LAN database, and the VPS is also on LAN.  Actually, I
would expect only IMP and the emails to cease working if it
***really*** needs to use "ssl.google-analytics.com" to function...

That looks sketchy to me...

Anybody can shed some light on this?

Thanks!
  Louis-Philippe Allard