[horde] Horde stops working if firewall blocks external domain

Louis-Philippe Allard lp.allard.1 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 21:01:30 UTC 2017

  Quoting Simon B <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>:

>   On 13 Feb 2017 16:02, "Louis-Philippe Allard"
> <lp.allard.1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I have a Horde Webmail 5.2.17 up to date running on a Centos 7
>> VPS.  MySQL database is hosted on another VPS ont he same LAN.
>> Communication between VPS'es is 100% functional without any issues.
>>
>> Once in a while I login to Horde which uses IMP as my auth
>> application. IMP uses my Gmail account to authenticate me to
>> Horde.  All has been working well until I made some changes to my
>> firewall and added the domain "ssl.google-analytics.com[1]" to a
>> block list (it is part of an automated blocklist feed from
>> iblocklist.com[2]).
>>
>> What happens is that I am working in Horde (calendar, emails,
>> tasks, etc) then all of a sudden, connectivity stops, the apps are
>> not responding, and I see the red popup at the bottom corner of the
>> screen saying "Error communicating with server".
>>
>> I have successfully connected this type of incident with the
>> firewall logs and indeed it is when "ssl.google-analytics.com[1]"
>> is blocked.
>>
>> My question is: why is horde insisting to connect to an outside
>> domain (google's in this case) when it is not necessary?  All data
>> is stored in a local LAN database, and the VPS is also on LAN.
>> Actually, I would expect only IMP and the emails to cease working
>> if it ***really*** needs to use "ssl.google-analytics.com[1]" to
>> function...
>>
>> That looks sketchy to me...
>>
>> Anybody can shed some light on this?
>
>   Sounds like you, or an administrator added Google analytics
> scripts to your Horde installation.
>
>   But as I remember you use Horde to interface to gmail's IMAP
> servers, so that might also be an issue..
>
>   Simon

Helli Simon,

So if I added Google analytics scripts to my horde install, that was
automatically when installing Horde webmail, and I dont want that
stuff here...

How do I check that?

I wonder why would using horde to interface to Gmail's servers would
require google-analytics?

Links:
------
[1] http://ssl.google-analytics.com