[horde] Problem ActiveSync and Serverprofile

Hendrik Noack hn at axxedia-it.de
Mon May 29 21:57:50 UTC 2017

No this only works if you use local profiles. Outlook stores some kind of ID
in the OST file. The ID is different on every computer. The problem here is,
that Outlook stores the last used ID in your roaming profile.

So if you use Outlook EAS on PC A it works. (ID A) Then you go to another PC
B without an existing profile it works too, because Outlook creates an new
OST file with a new ID (ID B). If you then go back to PC A your profile gets
synchronized with ID B and you can't access your previous OST file which
uses ID A.

The most recent version of Outlook in Office 365 doesn't even start anymore,
because it detects an ID mismatch for your local OST file. There are two
ways to cope with it:

a) don't use roaming profiles
b) delete your OST file when you encounter the problem, it gets recreated
with a new ID and works until you roam again. You could also use a script
that deletes the OST file on every user login. Downside of this is that you
shouldn't have users with big mailboxes or it will take a while to download
everything each and every time a user does a login.

I have a customer myself who encounters this specific problem and the only
solution there is not to use EAS anymore, because it breaks roaming profiles
with Outlook. I have to go back to IMAP combined with CalDav Synchronizer
which works quite well and is also roaming profile aware.

As much as I love to use EAS, it's not good for roaming.

> --
>    Vilius

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Hendrik Noack

--
Axxedia IT GmbH

Schwabstr. 30
71106 Magstadt

Tel +49 7159 4979763
Fax +49 7159 4979775

Mail hn at axxedia-it.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Schwabstr. 30, 71106 Magstadt
Geschäftsführer: Hendrik Noack . Amtsgericht: Stuttgart HRB 727296