[horde] ActiveSync Client(s) overload server

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sat Jul 8 12:40:51 UTC 2017

Quoting Steffen <skhorde at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de>:

> Hi,
>
> last days the partition of the SQLDB of Horde run full, I cleared
> the problem and restarted the server. Since then ActiveSync clients
> have problems to sync.
>
> Five clients open more and more connections running with 100% CPU
> each, so that within half an hour the load of the server increases
> so high, that it is infact a denial-of-service. I have blocked them
> now.
>
> Is there a way to limit active connections per client within Horde?
> If I limit the access to the GUI on the firewall, people find the
> GUI unusable.
>
> ====
>
> Other clients cannot sync as well, but do not consume noticable CPU
> time in that way.
>
> Before I ask about the sync problem itself, I'll update the Horde
> installation to the latest PEAR packages, maybe something was fixed.
> However, to have several ActiveSync clients take the server down is
> troublesome.

Hard to say without seeing logs. However, it sounds like you might
have removed some of the state data and/or history data from the
database. If that's the case, what's happening is every client must
re-provision with the server again - essentially resetting the client
account. Besides this being very resource intensive on the server,
some older clients are buggy in the way they handle loss of state.