[horde] Activesync resetting IOS Emergency Bypass settings

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Oct 4 01:23:48 UTC 2017

Quoting John H. Bennett III <bennettj at thebennetthome.com>:

> Hello all,
>
> I've run into a strange problem.  I have an iphone running ios
> 10.3.3.  In horde I have my family contacts setup in a separate
> address book, and those contacts sync to my iphone.  On the iphone,
> I set these contacts up with a specific ring and text tone.  I use
> the iphone do not disturb feature that is set from 11pm to 7am.  My
> contacts, are also set up with Emergency Bypass on.  That way, not
> matter what time of day, their calls and texts will always come
> through.
>
> The issue I have is that a some time, this setting is being removed.
>  I can't point to a specific time after I have set them that this
> has happened.  The first time this happened, I thought maybe I had
> done something to cause it.  So, I set them up again, with the same
> results after some amount of time.  The third time this happened, I
> set them up to bypass again, and also set some contacts that are
> synced with my company's exchange server that way as well.  Again,
> after some amount of time, the horde contacts were reverted, but the
> exchange ones weren't.  Set the horde contacts up for a fourth
> time.
>
> This weekend, I missed a text from my son about an incident, and
> sure enough the bypass settings had been reset for my horde
> contacts.  I looked at the contacts that I set from the exchange
> server, and they still had not been reset.  So to me, this is
> pointing to something that is being done with horde.  There's
> nothing scientific with what I did, and I can't prove 100% that it's
> something in horde, but I can state that the exchange contacts keep
> their settings, and the horde contacts don't.
>
> Does anyone else use this IOS feature with contacts synced with
> horde?  If no, could/would someone please set it up, and try to
> duplicate what I am seeing?  Again, I can't tell you how long the
> settings will stick, but if you see the same as I, at some time,
> those settings will be removed.
>
> I could provide a sync log, but I don't know if there would be
> anything in it to tell you why it all of a sudden reverts back.
>
> I'm up for other ideas as well.  My horde setup uses horde, imp,
> ingo, turba, kronolith, nag, mnemo, gollem, and trean, all up to date.

ActiveSync knows nothing about this setting, it's stored strictly on
the client. The only thing I can think of is that for some reason the
account is performing a complete resync at some point, which would
delete the local copy of the contacts and replace them with the server
copy. This normally happens when there is some issue with the sync
that it can't recover from. As to what is causing THAT issue, not
sure, though a sync log might be helpful.

--
mike
The Horde Project