[horde] Server side email searches with ActiveSync not working

Ad-Min admin at 123.dynu.com
Tue Apr 17 12:16:05 UTC 2018

Sebastian Arcus-2 wrote
> I am struggling to get server side email searches working with ActiveSync.
>
> My setup is:
>
> Lighttpd 1.4.49
> Dovecot 2.2.33
> Exim 4.90
> PHP 5.6.35
> Postgresql 9.2.24
> Horde 5.2.17
>
> I have tested imap searches through Thunderbird (there is an option "run
> search on server) and it is working fine and fast. I assume this means
> Dovecot is configured correctly and can do imap searches?
>
> I have tested the Horde email searches on an iPhone 5S with iOS 11.2.6
> and a Jolla phone with Sailfish 2.1. Both of them have email configured
> in ActiveSync mode. On both of them, if I force them to search on the
> server only, they sit there saying "searching" for a few minutes, and
> then return no results (and no error either).
>
> On the server side, I can see the command being sent by the device to
> Horde in the individual device ActiveSync log (I've removed the
> timestamps for brevity):
>
> [12466]INFO: ----------SEARCH request received for user

> myusername@

> [12466][2018-04-16T15:27:38+01:00] INFO: ----------Request being handled
> for device: JP359745050349650, Supporting protocol version: 14.0, Using
> Horde_ActiveSync v2.39.2
> [12466] I:
> <Search:Search>
> [12466] I:
> <Search:Store>
> [12466] I:
> <Search:Name>
> [12466] I:     Mailbox
> [12466] I:
> </Search:Name>
> [12466] I:
> <Search:Query>
> [12466] I:
> <Search:And>
> [12466] I:
> <Search:FreeText>
> [12466] I:       dea
> [12466] I:
> </Search:FreeText>
> [12466] I:
> <FolderType>
> [12466] I:       Email
> [12466] I:
> </FolderType>
> [12466] I:
> </Search:And>
> [12466] I:
> </Search:Query>
> [12466] I:
> <Search:Options>
> [12466] I:
> <Search:Range>
> [12466] I:      0-100
> [12466] I:
> </Search:Range>
> [12466] I:
> <Search:DeepTraversal />
> [12466] I:
> <Search:RebuildResults />
> [12466] I:
> <AirSyncBase:BodyPreference>
> [12466] I:
> <AirSyncBase:Type>
> [12466] I:       2
> [12466] I:
> [...]

I had a similar issue (windows, hmailserver as backend). My problem was not
that it doesn't work, but rather that clients timed out searching very large
mailboxes. I was not able to fix this, but it works fine on smaller
mailboxes. You didn't mention anything about mailbox size, so I'm just
throwing this out there.

I looked at my imap logs on hmailserver and confirmed that the search was
actually talking place. The issue was the search took about 4 minutes to
complete and the clients (all that I tried) timed out after 60 or 90
seconds.

I would start by enabling imap logging in your mail server and looking to
see if the search is actually talking place. Likely it is (since that is a
working function of horde activesync), so maybe you can track down the error
from there.

--
Sent from: http://horde.690.n7.nabble.com/Horde-General-f58861.html