[horde] Outlook EAS ActiveSync errors

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sat May 19 21:44:30 UTC 2018

Quoting Nels Lindquist <nlindq at maei.ca>:

> I have a number of Outlook EAS clients connecting to Horde ActiveSync
> (Horde Groupware Webmail Edition 5.2.22 installed).
>
> I recently noticed the following on the Horde ActiveSync wiki page:
>
> "It is recommended that this server support the QRESYNC server extension
> for performance reasons, though it will work without this. It can also
> help performance if an IMAP proxy is used. Some IMAP servers like older
> Cyrus versions (< 2.4) might support QRESYNC but do not enable per
> mailbox MODSEQ by default. Enabling this on these servers will greatly
> improve performance."
>
> As the underlying Cyrus IMAPD server is version 2.3.x, QRESYNC was
> indeed not enabled by default.
>
> I've manually enabled the CONDSTORE feature for several mailboxes to see
> if it would resolve some issues they're having, but they're now
> experiencing the following symptoms:
>
> Messages in INBOX and subfolders all synchronize properly, but as soon
> as the user replies to a message or sends a new messages, it seems to
> lose synchronization and resync all mail messages.
>
> In the ActiveSync per-device log I'm seeing errors like:
>
> "MODSEQ errors including "ERR: IMAP Server error: Current HIGHESTMODSEQ
> is lower than previously reported."
>
> and
>
> "ERR: Force restting of state for F5cb7673e: Transition to MODSEQ
> enabled server"

The above messages are expected when a client that was paired while
CONDSTORE was not enabled attempts to connect via ActiveSync after it
was enabled. This kind of backend change requires the client to be
re-paired so we can be sure to have an accurate snapshot of the server
state.  Most clients will do this automatically based on the response
code that is sent back, but some clients do not and must be re-paired.
You should not be seeing these errors more than once per client.

> Resetting the ActiveSync association through the Horde administrative
> interface doesn't help; neither does rebuilding the Outlook profile.
>
> I do have an IMAP protocol log covering the same time period as the
> ActiveSync device log, though there are no obvious IMAP errors that I
> can see.

If you provide the activesync log of a device that has been freshly
configured and is exhibiting this behavior, as well as the pertinent
section of the IMAP debug log I can attempt to debug further.