[horde] Current preferred stack for Horde

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Jul 5 10:04:00 UTC 2018

I've been slowly moving legacy sites to PHP7 which has become a tedious
job when many are still running fine on PHP5.2, but the new servers only
have PHP7.0.x currently and I need everything working on that going
forward. I HAVE had an install of horde running on one of the machines,
but messed up between the initial admin access and creating users. I
tried to 'reset' that, but without much success, so having a couple of
other machines available just started again from a clean setup without
any PEAR installed. I use my own PHP7 compliant PEAR with the websites
so do not use the PEAR install normally. The second install did not go
as expected and I'm not sure why. All machines are a clean SUSE42.3 base
from the same disk, but now I have a working initial admin panel which
complains about the 'secret key' when I try to update the main config file.

Questions ...
1 - Knowing that PEAR is no longer 'flavour of the day' with the PHP
development team, is Horde stable with PHP7?
2 - Alternatively, what is the preferred stack to run it?
3 - I'm looking mainly for a local email service that can mirror
multiple email accounts and handle a now 40Gb archive of messages. Is
Horde the right way to be going anyway? I think I was expecting a LOCAL
login to be the default, and then connect to additional remote servers,
but that does not seem to be the case?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL