[horde] Current preferred stack for Horde

Luis Felipe Marzagao lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 20:29:56 UTC 2018

Em 05/07/2018 07:04, Lester Caine escreveu:
> I've been slowly moving legacy sites to PHP7 which has become a
> tedious job when many are still running fine on PHP5.2, but the new
> servers only have PHP7.0.x currently and I need everything working on
> that going forward. I HAVE had an install of horde running on one of
> the machines, but messed up between the initial admin access and
> creating users. I tried to 'reset' that, but without much success, so
> having a couple of other machines available just started again from a
> clean setup without any PEAR installed. I use my own PHP7 compliant
> PEAR with the websites so do not use the PEAR install normally. The
> second install did not go as expected and I'm not sure why. All
> machines are a clean SUSE42.3 base from the same disk, but now I have
> a working initial admin panel which complains about the 'secret key'
> when I try to update the main config file.
>
> Questions ...
> 1 - Knowing that PEAR is no longer 'flavour of the day' with the PHP
> development team, is Horde stable with PHP7?

Yes, pretty stable.

> 2 - Alternatively, what is the preferred stack to run it?
> 3 - I'm looking mainly for a local email service that can mirror
> multiple email accounts and handle a now 40Gb archive of messages. Is
> Horde the right way to be going anyway? I think I was expecting a
> LOCAL login to be the default, and then connect to additional remote
> servers, but that does not seem to be the case?

Horde can authenticate against several backends. You can use IMP for
authentication, which can authenticate against your local dovecot
server, for example. Horde can also authenticate against local DB or
whatever you want. Pretty flexible.

As for the multiple accounts, I think IMP can handle them. You could
also use something like getmail in order to download the messages from
remote accounts via IMAP or POP.

Cheers.