[horde] splitting a email export

Arjen de Korte build+horde at de-korte.org
Mon Jul 16 15:10:41 UTC 2018

Citeren Gregor Bothe <gregor.bothe at uni-leipzig.de>:

> Hi all,
>
> we want to change our quota limit and therefor inform our users
> regarding their current allocated space. Further we have to tell
> some users to clean their inboxes by exporting and deleting emails.
>
> Unfortunately it seems like the Horde 5.2.12 email export function
> dumps a complete export into the system memory and uses the PHP
> memory_limit - quite a problem, if the inbox is 20G (mdir). We could
> increase the limit, but I would prefer an option to split an export
> into different files or "bypassing" the system memory somehow.
> Or any other option to allow the user to export their emails as a
> mbox file by an easy end-user usable function/application (I know
> about e.g. Thunderbird client plugin - but I don't want to tell
> them, to install a full email client just for an export).
>
> I'm looking forward to any kind of help :)
> Thanks in advance. Regards,
>
> Greg

Wouldn't the below work?

- move messages selected for archival to (newly created if needed)
'Archive' folder
- export messages from 'Archive' folder only
- empty 'Archive' folder
- repeat until sufficient storage space is cleared

Just splitting up messages in several archives doesn't sound like a
good idea to me. I'd rather keep users in control to archive messages
per whatever criterium they see fit and put these in separate archives.