[horde] ActiveSync client displays messages that were deleted in IMAP

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sat Aug 11 18:10:11 UTC 2018

Quoting Kevin <kevo at gatorgraphics.com>:

> So I've run into another issue with ActiveSync on my iPhone. It
> seems that deleting a message in Mail on the Mac through IMAP does
> not cause the iPhone to delete the message or remove it from display.
>
> When I open the webmail client, the messages show as being marked
> for deletion, they have a line through them.
>
> Is this a setting somewhere to make ActiveSync not display messages
> that are marked as deleted, or is this a bug of some sort?
>
> I have another account on another server that uses dovecot with
> zpush and I'm not sure how it is setup specifically but on that
> account any deleted messages in the IMAP folder will disappear from
> the phone display when you open the mailbox. That is what I was
> expecting with the horde activesync, but they just hang around.

The ActiveSync protocol assumes either the use of a Trash mailbox that
messages are moved to when deleted or that messages are expunged from
the mailbox when deleted. This is one of those things that is the
result of the fact that it wasn't originally designed to work against
a "pure" IMAP server, but rather an Exchange server.

When using IMP, it is recommended to use a Trash folder.

For messages that are just marked for deletion using another client
this is essentially just a change in flags. EAS does not support a
deleted flag, however, so the message does not appear to be removed
from the mailbox. IIRC, Z-push had some hack that sent a delete
command to the client for those messages that were flagged as deleted.
We choose not to do this as it's not an accurate reflection of the
mailbox state and leads to inconsistencies when deleting items on the
server vs deleting items on the EAS client.