[horde] ActiveSync client displays messages that were deleted in IMAP

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sat Aug 18 17:40:05 UTC 2018

Quoting Kevin <kevo at gatorgraphics.com>:

>> On Aug 11, 2018, at 1:52 PM, Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I would argue that it there is no inconsistency in this case.
>>> After all, the message actually does exist in the mailbox. The
>>> only difference is the EAS client doesn't mark that it's flagged
>>> with the DELETED flag - because it doesn't know about such a flag.
>>>
>>> IMO, actually deleting the message over ActiveSync is inconsistent
>>> since now the mailbox on the EAS client shows that the message is
>>> actually NOT in the mailbox at all - you can't "show deleted" and
>>> you can't remove the deleted flag. In clients that allow marking
>>> message deleted, you still see them, or have the ability to show
>>> them, in the mailbox, albeit marked with a deleted flag which you
>>> have the ability to remove. You would have no such ability in the
>>> eas client if it is "deleted" from the mailbox.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I do get what you are saying though :)
>>
>> Another point to consider is that this leads to issues if there are
>> changes to the email that is marked for deletion. Like
>> adding/removing another flag, or actually expunging it. This
>> triggers a change to be detected and sent to the client. If the
>> message is "deleted" on the client it can't do anything with it in
>> the best case and for not-well-behaved-clients, can cause crashes.
>> This would also require some workarounds when removing the deleted
>> flag. Since it's just a change in a flag, this change would never
>> be reflected on the client since the original message is no longer
>> on the client. Anyway... I'm done now :)
>
> Thanks for the explanation. I get it now, and I can at least make an
> informed choice about how to handle things. Probably we'll just deal
> with it by explaining how things work to other users. Quitting Mail
> more often seems to be an easy way to deal with it. That seems to
> expunge the messages immediately.
>
> Maybe you know why this other inconsistent behavior I'm seeing
> happens? If I use Junk as my spam folder (Junk is the name in
> dovecot) then setting Junk as the spam folder in the web interface
> settings cause the iPhone to not show Junk anymore, but Spam. The
> phone doesn't seem to know to use Spam as Junk.

ActiveSync doesn't have a notion of a "Spam" folder, so it's up to the
client to decide what to do. IIRC, iOS will only recognize the name
"Junk" (Though I thought it was "Junk Email").

It's not ActiveSync that's changing the name, it's IMP. When you set
the preference to use a folder as Spam, it changes the label of that
folder to be "Spam". When ActiveSync builds it's folder list, it gets
the list of mailboxes from IMP's API - which uses the label names. We
do this to have consistency between the names that a user sees in IMP
and the folder names that are shown in the ActiveSync client.