[horde] Unable to login to remote mail server using recommended settings

Michael Z Freeman michael at michaelzfreeman.org
Sat Sep 29 19:57:49 UTC 2018

On Fri, September 28, 2018 8:57 pm, Michael J Rubinsky wrote:

> Quoting Michael Z Freeman <michael at michaelzfreeman.org>:
>

>> Hi,
>>

>> I have tried everything. I know the password and username are correct
>> because I installed Squirrel Mail using my Cpanel hosting to test the
>> username en and password. I have ...
>>
>> <?php
>> $servers['imap'] = array(
>> // ENABLED by default; will connect to IMAP port on local server
>> 'disabled' => false,
>> 'name' => 'michaelzfreeman.org IMAP Server',
>> 'hostspec' => 'michaelzfreeman.org',
>> 'hordeauth' => false,
>> 'protocol' => 'imap',
>> 'port' => 993,
>> 'username' => 'michael at michaelzfreeman.org',
>> 'password' => 'xxxxxx',
>> // Plaintext logins are disabled by default on IMAP servers (see RFC
>> 3501
>> // [6.2.3]), so TLS is the only guaranteed authentication available by
>> // default.
>> 'secure' => 'tls',
>> );
>>

>> I have tried it as backends.local.php and even removed backends.php
>> entirely and replaced it with the above. Nothing ever seems to register.
>>  Horde brings up a separate login screen. I enter the mail server login
>>  details which always fails. I don't understand why Horde is asking for
>>  mail server login details in my browser when they are in the local
>> "backends" file.
>>

> Why are you putting your *personal* credentials in a *global*
> configuration file?

Thanks for the warning. I am the only user on the server. It's a
private/personal installation of Horde.

> If your Horde login is also your IMAP login, setup IMP to take the
> credentials of the current Horde user by setting 'hordeauth' to true. If
> it's NOT the same, then you still need to prompt for the login
> credentials.

OK, thanks. I have the separate login working and Horde is now picking up
IMAP messages. I was struggling with an intermittent networking error that
I've posted about on AWS support forums. But it's holding for the moment.

I altered the config file to include the SMTP server for sending email.
However Horde gives an "unknown error" when sending mail. I don't think it
knows to use SMTP to send. How do I tell it this ?

<?php
$servers['advanced'] = array(
    // Webhostingbuzz IMAP server (incoming).
    'disabled' => false,
    'name' => 'michaelzfreeman.org IMAP Server',
    'hostspec' => 'michaelzfreeman.org',
	'maildomain' => 'michaelzfreeman.org',
    'hordeauth' => false,
    'protocol' => 'imap',
    'port' => 993,
    'username' => 'michael at michaelzfreeman.org',
    'password' => 'xxxxxx',
    // Plaintext logins are disabled by default on IMAP servers (see RFC 3501
    // [6.2.3]), so TLS is the only guaranteed authentication available by
    // default.
    'secure' => 'ssl',
 	'smtp' => array(
    // Webhostingbuzz SMPT server (outgoing).
        'auth' => true,
    //    'debug' => false,
    //    'horde_auth' => false,
        'hostspec' => 'michaelzfreeman.org',
    	'maildomain' => 'michaelzfreeman.org',
    //    'lmtp' => false,
    //    'localhost' => 'localhost',
    	'username' => 'michael at michaelzfreeman.org',
        'password' => 'xxxxx',
    //    /* Mail from a MUA SHOULD be sent via the mail submission port
(587)
    //     * rather than the MTA port (25). (See RFC 6409/STD 72).
    //     * Note that mail submission REQUIRES some method of authentication
    //     * (whether explicit user/password credentials or configuring the
    //     * mail submission agent to automatically authenticate this host
    //     * based on the network location). */
          'port' => 465
    //    'username' => null
    ),
);