[horde] Sending HTTP 401 Unauthorized header response

Arjen de Korte build+horde at de-korte.org
Tue Jan 15 10:50:31 UTC 2019

Citeren Arjen de Korte <build+horde at de-korte.org>:

> Citeren Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Arjen de Korte <build+horde at de-korte.org>:

>>> After a bit more logging, I now see two distinct cases where an
>>> empty Bearer challenge is used:
>>>
>>> +24860:5c30fa08:bd|POST /AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml
>>> HTTP/2.0|Accept:*/*|Authorization:Bearer|User-Agent:microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps|Content-Type:text/xml|Accept-Language:nl-NL,nl;q=0.5|Accept-Encoding:gzip, deflate,
>>> br|Content-Length:356|Cache-Control:no-cache|Host:example.com
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> +24646:5c324a0e:284|OPTIONS /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync
>>> HTTP/1.1|Cache-Control:no-cache|Connection:Keep-Alive|Pragma:no-cache|Authorization:Bearer|User-Agent:MSFT-WIN-3/10.0.17134|MS-ASProtocolVersion:2.5|Host:example.com
>>>
>>> The first of these two is sent only when setting up a new EAS
>>> account on a client, so I don't see that one very often. The
>>> second is send *much* more frequently (a couple of times per hour
>>> per client) and only for clients on Windows 10 (I don't have users
>>> with other Windows versions) using the built-in Mail-app. None of
>>> them is configured to use/require Modern Authentication.
>>
>> I researched this for a few hours yesterday, and I don't see
>> anything else we could be sending back to the client to indicate we
>> don't support Modern Authentication. My guess is that MS Mail is
>> either broken, or just behaves inefficiently, trying Modern
>> Authentication too frequently.  The only other thing I can think of
>> is that there is some undocumented value in the AUTODISCOVER
>> response schema: We are sending a 401, which in addition to being
>> the correct HTTP error code, MS explicitly documents in MS-ASHTTP
>> 3.1.5.2.1 as indicating that the client should send an AUTODISCOVER
>> request to the server. There is nothing in the protocol
>> documentation which states that AUTODISCOVER returns any
>> information related to authentication, other than the username and
>> hostname.
>>
>> I also find it funny that the ASProtocolVersion is set to 2.5 in
>> the OPTIONS request. While the Bearer token isn't technically a
>> part of the EAS protocol, there was no support for this back when
>> the current EAS version was 2.5...I'm assuming you have configured
>> a recent version in your horde config and see this more recent
>> version as the supported version in other "Normal" requests?
>
> Yes. Pretty much every client connects through 14.1 nowadays.
>
>> I do know that when initially provisioning desktop Outlook a
>> request is actually sent to some MS Office 365 server, which then
>> queries your server's Autodiscover endpoint. There is some
>> undocumented (at least I couldn't find any) response schema that is
>> expected by MS' server that, when missing, causes autodiscovery to
>> fail and (unless a registry tweak is made) prevents provisioning
>> desktop Outlook to Horde. Perhaps this is something related
>
> I doubt it, since all traffic originates from clients on the (W)LAN.
> [...]

After a week of forensic logging by Apache, I found that all these log
lines were from Microsoft apps attempting to connect to EAS and
indicating they support Modern Authentication.

I silenced the noise by changing line 246 in Horde/Rpc/ActiveSync.php from

             $this->_logger->err('Sending HTTP 401 Unauthorized header
response.');
             $this->_logger->notice('Sending HTTP 401 Unauthorized
header response.');

This will at least allow me to quickly spot failed login attempts.