[horde] Our domain has to be changed.

ANANT S ATHAVALE asa at isac.gov.in
Wed Mar 13 03:19:59 UTC 2019

----- Message from Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org> ---------
     Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2019 14:30:44 +0000
     From: Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>
  Subject: Re: [horde] Our domain has to be changed.
       To: horde at lists.horde.org

> Quoting Andy Dorman <adorman at ironicdesign.com>:
>
>> On 3/6/19 12:49 AM, ANANT S ATHAVALE wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Our domain is changing from isac.gov.in to ursc.gov.in.
>>>
>>> Need some tips, as most of the horde database user contents would
>>> be associated with old domain.
>>>
>>> Basically need guidance on changing the contents of database where
>>> old domain name is referenced.
>>>

>> I have only thought about this for a few minutes so I am sure I am
>> missing something, but it seems to me that what you want to do is:
>>
>> 1. make sure DNS for the new domain is set up so that all the
>> records and host names point to the same resources (smtp servers,
>> IMAP servers, HTTP servers, etc)
>>
>> 2. make sure those resources will handle requests for the new
>> domain (and try to not break the old domain requests if you can).
>>
>> 3. modify your Horde IMP and other configs to use the new domain
>> name to access the resources.
>>
>> So I think the conversion is going to mostly involve DNS and
>> modifying the various servers involved in email/webmail to handle
>> requests for resources using the new domain name.
>>
>> Based on working with our customers that have gone through domain
>> name changes, the biggest challenge has always seemed to be getting
>> their users to modify their email clients to use the new domain
>> host names before the old domain expires.
>>
>> Hope this helps a little.
>
> If your email addresses will change and your users were logging in
> using their full email address with none of the username related
> hooks in use, you may have to change things like user preference
> entries in the database, permissions, share ownership etc...
>

>> --
>> Andy Dorman
>> Ironic Design, Inc.
>> AnteSpam.com
>>
>> --

> mike
> The Horde Project
> http://www.horde.org
> https://www.facebook.com/hordeproject
> https://www.twitter.com/hordeproject

----- End message from Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org> -----

On a test server, for horde databases, I plan to take a dump, replace
@isac.gov.in with @ursc.gov.in and import the dump.  I

I may have to request the users to open filters and save so that sieve
scripts get re-compiled.

--
      सादर धन्यवाद/ Thanks & Regards
           अनंत / Anant