[horde] Weather Underground API

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sun Mar 17 19:03:45 UTC 2019

> Quoting Arjen de Korte <build+horde at de-korte.org>:
>
>> Citeren Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>>> Ugh. We should just remove support for WU completely. It's not
>>> only no longer free, but it's completely gone. Replaced by a
>>> completely different API specifically for owners of personal
>>> weather stations, with less focus on forecasting. The non-free API
>>> is the parent company's, The Weather Company, expensive
>>> subscription service. Not a fit for Horde. Either way, the
>>> existing WU driver is useless.
>>>
>>> Looks like the other driver I wrote for World Weather Online has
>>> also done away with their free service.
>>>
>>> Looks like it's time to once again change out Horde's weather
>>> service drivers. Sigh.
>>
>> https://openweathermap.org/ might be an option. They have free API
>> keys with reasonable limits.
>
> Yeah, we actually already have an older Owm driver in
> Horde_Service_Weather, but it, too, is outdated. I'll probably try
> to get that one at least minimally working, as well as the existing
> WWO driver, since the subscription price on that one is cheap. I was
> also looking at darksky.net as an option.

Ah. Now I remember why I never added that driver to the Horde config
as an option. There is no way to search a location using that API. You
need to either know the "id" of the city you are looking for (they
have a list of id => city mappings you can download), or basically
hope that the results you get are for the city you typed in, when the
city name is not unique for your country. To make matters worse, the
results from the API only give back the city name and lat/long, not
the city/state/province etc... so you don't even know you are may be
looking at the wrong city if you don't use their ID.

Looks like we'll need some Horde_Map geocoding to go along with this.