[horde] Issue on fresh install with translation and carddav

hwpoubeline at free.fr hwpoubeline at free.fr
Mon Jul 27 15:22:34 UTC 2020

Hi All,

I hope that somebody can help me trigger this issue with a brand new
server.

I have installed a brand new Debian Buster server the same way I have my
old Debian Jessie server with Postfix/Dovecot/Apache2/MariaDB.
I would like to transfer all my email system from the old server to the
new one.
I have installed Horde using Pear repository on the new one like the old
one.

When I get to the login page, the fields displayed are always Username
and Password and never get translated as on my old server. Even after
the login page all the translation process does not work.
I have worked with Michael Rubinski who helped me get some trace from
the Horde system and the translation seems to gets blocked with the
validation process.

I have installed locally using 'dpkg-reconfigure locales' the en_US,
es_ES, es_CA languages all in UTF-8 and I never got the translation for
all of them, I still get an error with the validation of the language
which is throwing back to the system default language 'fr_FR' but the
strings displayed at the login page are still 'Username' and 'Password'
even if the 'Language' box displays 'Français'. The same when the
language box displays 'Català' or 'Español' I get english titles.

I have checked if it was a debian problem but when installing Roundcube
Webmail, all the translation is fine.
I also have another web site with Wordpress which is fine also for
translation.
So for me it is only one thing which is not working with Horde but I
can't figure out what. I have verified the debian packages and the Horde
requirements and compared them with the old server and all seems to be
equal.
On the Debian 9 I have PHP 7.4 (upgraded from 5.x to 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3)
and on the Debian 10 I have PHP 7.3.
The Horde server is 5.2.22 with all the latest updates got from Pear.

I have also followed the
'https://www.horde.org/apps/horde/docs/TRANSLATIONS' page and the
results where:

1.2.1:

> locale -a

C.UTF-8
fr_FR.utf8
POSIX

1.2.2: Yes, the files are stored correctly

1.2.3:

> strings /bin/tar | grep memory
_obstack_memory_used
memory exhausted
> gettext tar "memory exhausted"
mémoire épuisée

> (LANG=fr_FR; LANGUAGE=fr_FR; LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR; gettext tar "memory
> exhausted" )

bash: warning :setlocale : LC_MESSAGES : impossible to change lang
parameter (fr_FR) : no such file or directory

memory exhausted

> (LANG=fr_FR.utf8; LANGUAGE=fr_FR.utf8; LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR.utf8; gettext
> tar "memory exhausted" )
mémoire épuisée

1.2.4:

> ( TEXTDOMAINDIR=/var/www/horde/locale LANG=fr_FR.utf8
> LANGUAGE=fr_FR.utf8 LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR.utf8 gettext horde "Calendar" )
Agenda

I have created the /var/www/horde/langtest.php file as following :

<?php

setlocale(LC_MESSAGES, 'fr_FR.UTF-8');
putenv('LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8');
putenv('LANGUAGE=fr_FR.UTF-8');
// use the tar test.
echo dgettext('tar', 'memory exhausted');
echo '<br />';

// Specify location of translation tables
bindtextdomain('horde', './locale');

// Choose domain
textdomain('horde');

// Print the already tested message
echo _("Calendar");
echo '<br />';

// this should print the same.
echo dgettext('horde', 'Calendar');

?>

And the result is:

memory exhausted
Calendar
Calendar

I have also found a new issue with the address book when I want to get
access to the Carddav URL which throws this issue:
Horde::Fatal Error
A fatal error has occurred
Class 'Sabre\DAVACL\PrincipalBackend\AbstractBackend' not found
Details have been logged for the administrator.

I have browsed all the mailing list history and I could find a thread
about this but it was with a GIT installation process and without any
resolution.

So, If somebody has a clue on any issues related here, you are REALLY
VERY welcome as this is one month or so that I cannot migrate users to
the new server due to the translation problem firstly, but also
regarding the second issue with the Carddav (just checked and same issue
with the Caldav).

Thanks for any hint you can give me to fix these issues.

Regards,
Laurent