[horde] another security issue discovered in Horde ref. CVE-2022-30287

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Tue Jun 14 17:44:15 UTC 2022

Quoting Jens Wahnes <wahnes at uni-koeln.de>:

> Michael J Rubinsky wrote:
>> 4.2.28 should fix the remaining regressions.
>
> Fortunately, I got some help from other Horde users. Together, we
> could narrow down the remaining issue with Turba 4.2.28 that I
> mentioned earlier.
>
> The problem is with virtual address books. If one decides to save an
> addressbook search as a virtual address book, the issue of "$config
> must be an array" will come up as soon as one clicks on "Address
> Book" in dynamic mode.
>
> Things get worse if such a virtual address book has previously been
> set as the default address book. With such a configuration setting,
> the trouble of e-mails not being displayed in Imp turns up
> frequently. So in dynamic view, a single click on a message may not
> refresh the message display (at least not always), and a double
> click will open a new window reading "$config must be an array". Or
> sometimes it will not open a new window at all. Yet other messages
> may still open fine. It is very confusing.
>
> Using a virtual addressbook at all, and then using it as the default
> addressbook is not a very common combination, which is probably why
> it affects only a fraction of our users. So it has been hard to
> really reproduce this, but now I've got a good example going and
> would be able to provide debug output if that helps to find and fix
> the issue.
>
> I tried to look into it myself, but could not find the exact cause.
> In the "turba/lib/Driver/Vbook.php" file in the __construct method
> (around line 50), I could see that $params['source'] would be empty
> sometimes, but not always. That is probably what causes the trouble
> in the first place. The number of virtual address books seems to
> play a role here, too (i.e. if there is more than one). So it could
> be an off-by-one thing or something like that.

That does indeed help narrow things down. I'll take a look when I can.

$params['source'] is *supposed* to contain an array descripting the
"base" configuration for the VBook. I.e., the type of backend that
backs the addressbook. Probably some code path where that is not being
set properly.

--
mike
The Horde Project