[horde] The Road To H6: horde/components tool is now on packagist

Lang, Ralf ralf.lang at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 18:57:43 UTC 2023

Am 29/10/2023 um 10:49 schrieb Lang, Ralf:
> Hello,
>
> I have now added the necessary dependencies to install the
> horde/components tool via composer. This is a tool developers use to
> build the changelog, create releases and some other project
> administrative stuff.
>
> I will probably have to rework the default config and code which sets
> up the github CI workflows. It was built with downstream in mind and
> didn't get a lot of testing on php8.1+.

I tested this afternoon's work on itself. Packagist now has
horde/components 1.0.0alpha5.

Notable changes:

- Unbundled all the bundled tools.

- Removed support for abandoned checkers PHPDCD and PHPCPD
- Fixed support for recent versions of PHPMD
- The linter task will now ignore the vendor dir
- The code will no longer run under php7.4

- PHPUnit support works but is a little shaky. I will probably rework
the phpunit adaptor to hook into PHPUnit 10's event system.

- horde/components seems not to have "queue versions" in bugs.horde.org
so I could not test if it actually does anything. At least it did not error.

- I skipped tasks that could create noise we don't want at this point in
time, i.e. "website", "announce" etc.

- I did not upload to pirum. I think we should reserve pirum for any H5
stuff that depends on pear. Maybe we should drop the package.xml file in
the H6 branch altogether?

- I found a truckload of stuff that wants fixing for PHP 8.2+ including
undeclared properties, sloppy return types, inconsistent camel case in
class names -  a version alpha6 will probably follow soon.

- We sometimes use unnamespaced versions of library code where a
namespaced version is already available.

- The transpiler feature is probably not ready for upstream usage. I
will not use it here.