[Leena.Heino@uta.fi: Re: [i18n] Small localization diff for imp/lib/Contents.php]

Jan Schneider jan@horde.org
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 16:28:48 +0200

Zitat von Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org>:

> ----- Forwarded message from Leena Heino <Leena.Heino@uta.fi> -----
>
> Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 09:56:53 +0300 (EEST)
> Wrom: EAIJJPHSCRTNHGSWZIDREXCAXZOWCONE
> To: Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org>
> Subject: Re: [i18n] Small localization diff for imp/lib/Contents.php
>
> On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
>
> > Quoting Thierry Thomas <thierry@pompo.net>:
> >
> > > Just to localize the size column:
> >
> > Committed, thanks.
> Have I completely missunderstood something but KB would mean Kelvin
> Bytes (K is reserved to Kelvin temperature degrees). I think that correct
> term would be kB meaning kilo bytes, at least if we are to use the SI
> kilo, mega etc. prefixes. Though, there is the KiB, which means 1024
> bytes, but this in not very widely used.
>
> IMHO correct term would be:
> kB == kilo bytes
> MB == mega bytes

This may be correct in SI terms. But it's absolutely unusual - at least in
the English/American area. And there is a good reason for this: As you
already said, 1 KB are 1024 bytes not 1000. Though KiB might be correct it
is common to use KB. If there are differences in your locale (German also
uses KB) you are now at least able to translate it correctly.