[i18n] Problem with translation.php

Jan Schneider jan@horde.org
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:15:40 +0200

Zitat von Jan Kuipers <jrkuipers@lauwerscollege.nl>:

> Citeren Jan Kuipers <jrkuipers@lauwerscollege.nl>:
>
> > I have a strange problem with translation.php, i.e. with extracting
> gettext
> > strings from files. Not all strings are found and are lost in the .pot
> files.
> > Strange thing is that strings from a file in a particular directory are
> > found,
> > but strings from another file (same extension) in the _same_ directory
> are
> > _not_
> > found.
> > Any ideas?
>
> It seems if xgettext doesn't extract strings which are within quotes!
> P.e. value="<?php echo _("Some string") ?>" is not extracted
>      value='<?php echo _("Some string") ?>' is not extracted
>      value=<?php echo _("Some string") ?> is extracted

Hm, I already recognized that some strings aren't extracted and found out
that it seemed to happen in code parts that are commented out like in the
configuration files. Together with the quoting problem I know now, why the
strings were extracted by extract.pl before.

But I really like the fact that xgettext from the gettext package shows the
locations where the strings appear. That makes it easier for us translators
to find out the context where a string appears.

It would be great if anyone has a nice solution that fixes this without the
need to extract the strings manually again.