[i18n] Re: [horde] Arabic Translation of IMP, Turba, Passwd, Kronoloithand Nag

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Jul 1 08:51:43 PDT 2003

Zitat von Mounes Kayyali <mounesm.kayyali at mail.sy>:

> Hello All, Hello Jan
>
> As you might have noticed, we already have an Arabic translation of the
> ar_OM locale. As I have not really any knowledge about Arabic languages,
> it would be great if you could tell us what the exact differences are
> and how we can make them visible to the user (language selection list).
>
> There is not 'Arabic languages', it's one language for all Arab
> countries, but the dialect or 'slang' is different even in same country.
> Mr. Bill Gates adds to his windows _OM = Oman, _SY = Syria, _IQ = Iraq,
> etc...

So, to differentiate between these translations I'll just add them as
"Arabic (Syria)" etc. As the language is also written in Arabic in the drop
down list, it would be nice if you could send us a patch that add the
country names in Arabic too.

> Existing ar_OM file is translated using some Shakespearian language.. It
> has many wrong understanding of IMP; it will be not clear enough for
> most Arab people. Any user can change _XX to any two CC letters; I mean
> Saudi Arabian user will change it to ar_SA

Not sure what you mean with this.

> About RTL:
>
> Yes Mr. Jan, I saw that direction flipping is available... But this is
> not enough. I have built many large and medium multilingual packages,
> but interesting a variable into html tag is not enough, you need to
> change some details in the design.

Okay, I'm looking forward your suggestions or even patches to improve the ui
for rtl charsets.

> Finally, I would like to apologize for such long message, and I hope in
> near future I'll translate everything on horde's site.
> I promise this will be last time with long message :)

No problem, you explanations are very much appreciated.