[i18n] Horde IMP in Japanese

Thomas Maadie thomas at e-interwave.com
Thu Aug 7 12:06:35 PDT 2003

Isamu, thank you for your e-mail.

I understand that you have maintained the de-facto
Japanese version of Horde, at IMP-JP.ORG.  But
whatever shortcomings Horde may have had before,
I believe the current CVS/HEAD version has cleared
any problems it had previously.

Isamu, can you please submit your current
translations (ja_JP.po files) to this i18n mailing list?
(....in Shift-JIS encoding if available?)
If necessary, one of us will convert EUC-JP into
Shift-JIS and/or merge the translations, so please
feel free to send it in your current format.

Takeshi and Isamu:  As you should know, Horde CVS/HEAD
does NOT use EUC-JP encoding as IMP-JP.ORG does.
Horde's web display is completely in Shift-JIS encoding.
And the messages are sent using ISO-2022-JP (JIS) encoding.
This works great right now, and I insist that Horde's encoding
remain this way and NOT be converted into EUC-JP.
Do you both agree?

Jan, please note..... the Japanese translations are too old.
They need to be updated badly.

IMP's ja_JP.po was last updated by B.J. Black on Apr. 6, 2002.
HORDE's ja_JP.po was last updated by Takeshi Morishima on Feb. 3, 2003.
TURBA's ja_JP.po was last updated by B.J. Black on Mar. 18, 2002.

Takeshi has stated on Feb. 8 2003 (on this i18n mailing list),
upon submitting the HORDE update:
 >> Having confirmed with Oren Teich that they (Oren/William Black, the
 >> last translator) no longer maintains horde/imp Japanese translation, I
 >> made the horde one up to date.

Therefore, I believe we can safely assume that B.J. Black will
no longer work on the Japanese translations.  I believe that
if Takeshi, Isamu, and I (Thomas) can have some consensus here,
it should be safe for you to update the Japanese translations.

Thank you all for your help!

At 22:59 08/07/03 +0900, Isamu YAMAMOTO wrote:
>Hello.
>I'm administrator in IMP-JP.ORG.
>
>There are three character code in Japanese.
>Generally, ISO-2022-JP (JIS) is used by only mail.
>EUC-JP is used in php script, and Shift_JIS (SJIS) is used for
>the output of HTML.
>
>Therefore, character code is converted in the customize version
>distributed by IMP-JP.ORG.
>
>I want to merge early patches in IMP-JP.ORG for the original
>version.
>I am customizing now based on the CVS/HEAD version.

Thomas Maadie
Interwave Corporation
Email thomas at e-interwave.com
Tel (808) 531-0560