[i18n] Horde IMP in Japanese

Takeshi Morishima tm at onepost.net
Fri Aug 15 05:01:53 PDT 2003

In message "Re: [i18n] Horde IMP in Japanese" on 2003/08/07, Thomas
    Maadie writes:

  > Do you both agree?

I do not know why Shift JIS was selected as Japanese default charset
in the first place.  It should be fine as long as gettext takes care
of it, but historically native script langes like perl/php works
better with EUC-JP.  At least, it caused much less trouble than Shift
JIS for me in the past when handling other perl/php-ware.  Again, as
long as the character set handling is properly architected and
software is coded correctly, it probably should not matter.  If for
logistics point of view (maybe between imp-jp and main cvs head or
other possible Japanese support patch), using EUC-JP makes life
easier, then we may want to consider converting Shift JIS to EUC-JP
for everything.  I mean, if it does not really matter from the
architecture point of view, the decision should probably be based on
developer's productivity.

My two cents.

Thanks,
Takeshi