[i18n] Problems with umlauts in translations

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee
Wed Jul 28 13:33:58 PDT 2004

Hello!

In my previous message, I complained that I have problems with umlauts
in Estonian translation, where the letters õüäö get displayed as
~o"u"a"o. At the same time, I have Horde/IMP/Turba running on another
server, where everything looks very well.

Old server (where everything works):
FreeBSD 5.2.1
Apache 2.0.49
PHP 4.3.8 (installed as Apache module)
Gettext 0.13

New server (where there is problem)
FreeBSD 4.9
Apache 1.3.31
PHP 4.3.8 (installed as CGI)
Gettext 0.13

After re-reading horde/docs/INSTALL I discovered that Horde wants PHP
installed as Apache module. Maybe they mean it seriously? ;-)) This
seems to be the most likely culprit, because:

- The system files for Estonian locale are identical on both servers
- I have previously run Horde apps successfully on another FreeBSD 4.9
  server
- On the new server, German translation has the same problem as
  Estonian translation (umlauts displayed incorrectly).
- When I run 'gettext -V' on the command line of the old server, I also
  get "incorrect" output.

I'm speculating that since PHP/CGI is also 'sort of' command line
interpreter, it causes the gettext/nls stuff to behave in some weird
'command line way', munging the output of umlauts. Does anyone have any
insight into this? Is there a way to get correct output from Horde apps
when PHP is running as CGI? Unfortunately, there are some applications
on the new server which REQUIRE that PHP must be installed as CGI...
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Avoid cliches like the plague.