[i18n] International chars in emails?

Carl Boberg carl at blackside.org
Sun Mar 20 04:16:39 PST 2005

Here is the problem:

Mail from yahoo.com, hotmail.com and others like them usually send mail with
encoding in us-ascii even though it is chars in them that are of
international
type (like åäö). When theese mails come in to IMP 4 their international
chars  show up as ?.
If I then use the webbrowsers view sttings for char encoding and set it to
us-ascii the ? turns in to their correct letters. But if I do that the
rest of
IMPs menus and such that have international chars get screwed up...
So it either look at the odd email correct with forced encoding setting
in the
browser or view most emails and IMP correctly (in UTF-8 I think) but
then odd
email looks funny.

I have tested this thoroughly.

Question is; Is this also affecting the way IMP/Horde verifies passwords
against
/etc/passwd? Since my original problem was that users with international
swedish
chars in his/her password couldnt login.

Any ideas what to make of this?

/ Cheers
Carl