[i18n] Re: International chars in emails?

Kristian Barek horde at ndn.no
Fri Mar 25 00:20:30 PST 2005

Quoting Carl Boberg <carl at blackside.org>:

> Wait,
> I dont get this? Looking at the emails from yahoo for example they have
> do have charset us-ascii defined in them...but contain non us-ascii
> chars (since it is written in swedish).
>
> Are you saying that I can somehow force theese emails to another
> charset, say ISO-8859-1? If so, how?

Well, you _can_, though the right thing to do would be to complain to
Yahoo etc.
Most (if not all) the broken mail we received were using CP-1252 (a Windows
ISO-8859-1 extension, probably from Outlook), so we changed the default
character set here as a quick fix:

lib/Horde/MIME/Part.php:define('MIME_DEFAULT_CHARSET', 'cp1252');

So far it seems to have solved the problem (until someone sends a broken mail
with a different character set, I guess.. :)

--
Kristian Barek
Norsk Distriktsnett AS