[i18n] encoding problems with translations

Eduardo Dominguez eduardodmz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 11:46:03 PDT 2005

(resending to i18n per suggestion of the horde list)

I'm running horde 3.0.5 on SUSE 9.3 and I'm having problems with the
some translation files which I think is due to some encoding
misconfiguration on my part.

Mexican spanish is our language, which horde doesnt have. So basically
I copied the MESSAGES file from es_ES to es_MX. Then I created my own
localization using translation.php and added the language to nls.php.

I created a es_MX.po file and defined

in it.

My problem is that most of Horde's UI translations (originially from
the es_ES and copied to a es_MX file) are never shown correctly.
Accents are broken. It doesnt help to change the Encoding in the
browser. They are always broken.

I would like to know if I'm doing something wrong here and if I should
use some encoding other than UTF-8 in either the es_MX.po.

Also, I'm working with emacs under Mac OS X. Does the encoding of the
php files affect horde in any way ? If so, can anyone experienced with
emacs tell me how to change the encoding of a certain file ?

Is there any tool that can tell me what encoding a text file has ?

I know there are a lot of questions but that is basically the only
problem we have left with this internal app we are building.

Thanks a lot for any helps or pointers you can give me. I'm willing to
pay for some support regarding this issue.

Thanks again.
--
Lalo