[i18n] help.xml translation problem

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Mon Jun 2 10:23:27 UTC 2008

> Hallo Vilius Šumskas,
>
> you have written:
> > It was said numerious times; don't use UTF-8 in translation or help
> > files.
>
> Why not?
>
> <http://www.horde.org/horde/docs/?f=po_README.html> says,
> w.r.t. translations:
> > It is important to set the correct charset for the locale in the
> and w.r.t. help files:
> > The help files must be encoded in the language's preferred character
> set.
>
> Now, what would happen, if you
> - set the Conten-Type header in a translation source to UTF-8,
> - convert both that translation and the pertinent help file to UTF-8,
> - and re-compile the translation?

Well, firstly preferred character set for the language Arminas is trying to
translate *is* ISO-8859-13. On the points WHY I think Jan could elaborate
more, but this was answered so many times in this list. Please search the
archives.

Secondly, special characters in help files must be entered numerically
especially when they are Unicode. From the link of yours:

"There are no predefined entities beyond the XML standard entities.... [and
later] ... Any character available in the language's preferred character set
can be entered as a numerical character reference (based on its Unicode
scalar value), such as &#160; for the No-Break Space character."

Thirdly, I think translation.php is not Unicode aware. But I could be wrong.

--
  Best Regards,

  Vilius Šumskas
  LNK TV IT manager