[i18n] Pootle for Horde

Jānis je at ktf.rtu.lv
Mon Mar 5 07:16:57 UTC 2012

Dear Jan!

I'd like to invite you to the test Pootle installation at http://pootle.dv.lv.

I think, the registration should work, but if you are rejected, you
can log in using tulks/tulks as l/p. Please note: this virtual
appliance is deployed on a server with limited resources so only 12
concurrent connections are permitted by server's cfg. For demo
purposes only some languages are created/uploaded on server. Lng files
- from 29.02.2012 git tree. (may be at the end of the week I'll have a
chance to put it on more powerful server).

What I already found - pootle theoretically could support the
structure of the git tree, but to simplify translation process it
could be possible to use the structure one can see on demo server -
all files separated by language.

Checking out from pootle also could be easy enough - may be even not
using git as the engine but once a day (at midnight) committing
changes form Pootle db's to disk and making language archives, which
later are treated on Horde's git server in order to shuffle the
language files to the right directories.

It is possible to use git on the pootle server, but that means super
heavy sym-linking to mimic Horde tree and actual inability to add new
language using Pootle's tools.

As for the translation process itself - it can be done online or
offline using routine tools and uploading the results to server by
replacing already existing translation (of file) or putting all new
translations as suggestions for later review by team's leader or
permitted translators.

Until Thursday I'll attend a conference so my communication abilities
will be limited, but Your or i18n team's suggestions are very welcome.
Even if "We do not need this".

If you'll find it useful, I can provide the virtual machine itself for
download and more extensive study (it is Slackware-13.37 on
VirtualBox, the size of compressed appliance - ~300 MB).

Best regards -
Janis