[i18n] Changing en phrases

Jens Wahnes wahnes at uni-koeln.de
Tue Feb 9 21:54:29 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 09 2016, at 11:19:32 -0600, Aaron Paetznick wrote:

> Am I missing some of the source translation files, or maybe they also
> need to be manually pear-installed? Can anybody provide any pointers
> that might help me get started?

I'm not deep enough into Horde to answer all of your questions, but
we've had a similar urge to change some of the text that is displayed
when a problem report is generated, so on the "getting you started"
track, I can share this "works for me" solution here.  (Our goal was to
add a reminder to our users to provide alternative means of contact
when sending a problem report concerning "not being able to receive
emails", because our helpdesk can't really answer reports when there is
a real or perceived problem of receiving mails.  Well, in fact, they
can of course answer, but such an answer is rather moot when it will
not be read by the person experiencing the trouble.)

So to make a long story short, attached is a translation file
concerning "problem report" translations that is based on what we use
(I just replaced "problems" with "issues" to demonstrate the effect).
You can use that as a basis for your own translations. You just need to
put it into a proper subdirectory of the "locale" directory of your
Horde installation (the one that has got ar, bg, bs, ca, etc. already)
like this:

mkdir -p en_US/LC_MESSAGES

put the attached horde.po there

edit en_US/LC_MESSAGES/horde.po to your needs

horde-translation make --no-compendium -l en_US

reload your web server and re-login to Horde

The part that is a bit tricky about all this is the translation of the
entry in the gearwheel menu.  This is not part of the regular "horde"
package but part of "Horde_Core" instead.  So changing that text within
this horde.po file might be a bit quick and dirty, but you'll have to
decide for yourself if you want to go to greater lengths there.

Jens