[imapproxy] imapproxy tuning

Miguel Manso mmanso at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 10 06:23:20 PST 2002

Hi there,

I'm running a webmail in my country that has 1.5
million logins per month.

We're using Apache + mod_perl + Mason for the
frontends and we've 4 IMAP servers for mail storage.

Some users talk about the low speed of the service and
after some debugging I've concluded that the blottle
neck are the imap servers.

After some research on google I've seen imapproxy. On
a machine I've installed two imapproxies that receive
frontend's IMAP connections and send'em to the IMAP
servers.

The setup I'm using on both imapproxies is this (the
local_port is different of the two imapproxies):

debug           off
logging         off
log_facility    LOG_LOCAL6
# imap server
remote_address  10.10.10.100
local_address   *
remote_port     143
local_port      1201
# frontend machines
accept          10.10.10.1
accept          10.10.10.2
accept          10.10.10.3
keepalive       60
client_timeout  60
server_timeout  900
stats_frequency 60
max_reuse       -1

Is this a correct configuration? I made some debug and
it seems it's working ok. I'm trying to find some
oppinions from someone who has some experiences.

Thanks a lot.

=====
Miguel Manso
mmanso@yahoo.com