[imapproxy] configuration advice [was :ImapProxy session issue ]

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Jan 15 15:43:56 PST 2003

Quoting G G Papazoglou <grp at med.uoc.gr>:

> I am using UW IMAP. Yet I don't have the time now to upgrade to
> another IMAP (eg. Cyrus), although I haven't had any problems with my
> current server for almost one year now.

I'm also using uw-imap.  I had problems with an older version, but they
went away (AFAIK) when I moved to a newer version (2001a).

> In fact that's the reason I installed imapproxy in the first place. It
> is obvious I don't have performance issues in my IMAP server, yet
> since most of IMP's users use it via dial-up, performance is crucial.

Then you might be better off looking elsewhere like compression, php
accelerators, solaris (network) tuning, turning off dns lookups in the
web server, etc.

Not that imapproxy is of no use, but you may find more of an improvment
elsewhere.

> I am not sure what it does, actually. I can't see any difference. I

Yeah, there's the rub...  We really need a script we can run as a real
IMP user, testing the speed out.  Perhaps an expect script again, that logs
in, opens a mailbox with "n" messages (where "n" is some large number), and
reads each message, then exits. Then we can run it with and without the proxy
and measure the time it takes...

> can't even be sure of any decrease of performance. Btw, the

Hopefully it will never result in a decrease of performance!

> docs/PERFORMANCE mentions that using imapproxy IMP runs 2 times
> slower...

For one user only.  No one else has seen this.  But that user was also
the only solaris user, so that is why I was warning to be wary on solaris.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!