[imapproxy] configuration advice [was :ImapProxy session issue ]

G G Papazoglou grp at med.uoc.gr
Wed Jan 15 23:54:12 PST 2003

> I'm also using uw-imap.  I had problems with an older version, but they
> went away (AFAIK) when I moved to a newer version (2001a).

I was using 2001 from the beginning :-))

> Then you might be better off looking elsewhere like compression, php
> accelerators, solaris (network) tuning, turning off dns lookups in the
> web server, etc.

I am already using Zend Optimizer. But I have to mention that, I've
tested IMP in my home ISDN connection (Yes, here in Greece DSL is still a
midnight summer dream - fortunately at work I have 22Mbps...) and I
jave to admit there is increased performance when using imapproxy. But
I think this is just because there isn't a new IMAP session for each
transaction, therefore the overall overhead is decreased.

> Yeah, there's the rub...  We really need a script we can run as a real
> IMP user, testing the speed out.  Perhaps an expect script again, that logs
> in, opens a mailbox with "n" messages (where "n" is some large number), and
> reads each message, then exits. Then we can run it with and without the proxy
> and measure the time it takes...

It will be more than welcome....:-)

> For one user only.  No one else has seen this.  But that user was also
> the only solaris user, so that is why I was warning to be wary on solaris.

Of course it is not clear what role Solaris plays in the whole
installation. I say that, because currently I use Solaris 8 only on my
mail (sendmail+IMAP+POP3) server, yet IMP is installed on a separate
machine running RedHat 8.0. And besides that, I don't see how
complicated this software is so as to make such a difference from one
OS to another...My opinion is that the overall configuration is what
really matters (eg. if running on one or multiple machines).

Greg