[imapproxy] configuration advice [was :ImapProxy sessionissue ]

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Jan 15 18:35:01 PST 2003

Quoting Christopher Crowley <ccrowley at tulane.edu>:

> I am looking for the former improvement.  The e-mail server cannot
> handles the current peak demand. Abouut 1000 users who have to
> authenticate for each e-mail they want to read is causing the server
> unnecesary work.  An imap process is created, then abandoned for each
> of these users.

Then you should see an improvment with imapproxy.  The only reason you
wouldn't is if the network overhead was minimal, and the imap folder
locking was very high overhead (since imapproxy does switch the mailbox
between read-only and read-write mode).

> Is RedHat Linux a better OS for IMAPProxy? How about AIX 4.3.x ?  I
> could put the proxy on any one of the 3 (solaris is the 3rd).  It
> doesn't really say in the PERFORMANCE file which OSes are more
> recommended.  With the small amount of data available, it seems to be
> a toss-up.

The code was written for 32-bit arch, then ported to work on solaris.
If the port was good, then all should be fine.  Basically the issue is
it was written for one architecture (bit size and endian) and you want
to run it on another architecture (bit size and endian).  It was ported
to support this, so it should work.  I have no evidence that the solaris
port was good, bad, or whether it even addressed the 32/64-bit issue
(since sparcs used to be 32-bit, but are now possibly 64-bit, etc).

I don't know that linux has anything to do with it, I'd be more worried
about the underlying formats (endian, bits, etc).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!