[imp] Semicolons in To: list

The Raven lolson@lynx.nisc.cc
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:17:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:36:01 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org>
> To: imp@lists.horde.org
> Subject: Re: [imp] Semicolons in To: list
>
> Quoting Jon Parise <jon@csh.rit.edu>:
>
> > It's technically possible (converting the semicolons to commas), but I
> > don't see a reason to institute a kludge when the users are clearly at
> > fault here.
>
> I'd have to agree - semicolons are clearly, by spec, not valid seperators.
> Furthermore, it's not really that easy, since you could validly put semicolons
> inside quotes in a personal name. So doing this only reinforces bad learning in
> your users, and has potential to break things rather badly for people following
> the spec.
>
> -chuck

Both valid points, but nevertheless, the complaints will continue, and
when the CEO sends mail to several VP's and only one gets it, I get it.
Perhaps a JS popup on the To: and Cc: fields warning them not to or even
an option that can be selectively turned on in a config file?

Until NeXTime,
Leif E. Olson
Technical Programmer
National Information