[imp] Semicolons in To: list

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 19:48:58 -0400

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 05:17:32PM -0500, The Raven (lolson@lynx.nisc.cc) wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:36:01 -0400 (EDT)
> > From: Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org>
> > To: imp@lists.horde.org
> > Subject: Re: [imp] Semicolons in To: list
> >
> > Quoting Jon Parise <jon@csh.rit.edu>:
> >
> > > It's technically possible (converting the semicolons to commas), but I
> > > don't see a reason to institute a kludge when the users are clearly at
> > > fault here.
> >
> > I'd have to agree - semicolons are clearly, by spec, not valid seperators.
>
> Both valid points, but nevertheless, the complaints will continue, and
> when the CEO sends mail to several VP's and only one gets it, I get
> it.

I don't see how that's relevant; RFC 822 clearly specifies that the
comma is used for separating addresses and the semicolon is used for
delimiting groups. If you want *your* mail program to explicitly break
on valid RFC 822 addresses, feel free to modify it, but I can't
imagine expecting it to be broken for everyone because your CEO
complains.

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services