[imp] The PIMP

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:47:11 -0400

Quoting Lars Hecking <lhecking@nmrc.ucc.ie>:

>  The prometheus internet mail program (PIMP), is yet another webmail system.

Yup. It split off from IMP a few years ago.

>  There are several design goals within the PIMP :
>
>          Cookie usage is optional

We do this in 2.2 and above.

>          NO Javascript

This is one that I go back and forth on. Javascript gives us a _lot_ of
really nice enhancements to the interface. I agree that it'd be nice to
degrade more nicely for lynx and friends, but I think it's silly to rule out
what javascript can do for you when most browsers support it these days, and
most major sites seem to use it. If someone wants to put in the time to make
lynx work nicely, I'll support you, but ... I don't use lynx much. So I
don't need it - I have much bigger itches to scratch.

>          NO Frames

2.3 is frameless.

>          Massive scalability

This is a great check-list item, but what does it _mean_?

>          Database centric for loadbalencing and preferences

So, database-based sessions and prefs? 2.2 has that, and we provide pgsql
and mysql php4 session implementations for use with 2.3. Also, we are not
_database_ centric for any of this; we are "storage-centric". If you happen
to have something else that's faster or better for you (ldap, something
completely new), it's easy to plug in.

>  Has anyone tried this, or compared it with IMP? These design goals
>  look very attractive.

I haven't looked at the code in a while, or tried it, no.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>