[imp] oracle_create script

C. R. Oldham cro@nca.asu.edu
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:32:57 -0700

"Hanser, Kevin" wrote:

> And the mysql_create.sql script
> didn't have these constraints... does anybody know why?

The primary key constraints are supported by Mysql.  I don't recall the original
script, but Mysql can require primary key fields to be unique (some would say
that is redundant--that the definition of a primary key is that it is unique but
I've worked with some DBs that support non-unique primary keys).  Mysql doesn't
support referential integrity constraints.  It's mainly an artifact of Mysql's
lack of stored procedures and triggers, which is how most databases implement
referential integrity constraints

> Why would these be
> needed w/oracle but not w/other sql databases?

Without them, your tables can get out of sync--you get orphaned records in the
child tables or parent records with no corresponding child records.  Or multiple
records with the same primary key.

--
  / C. R. (Charles) Oldham | NCA Commission on Schools    \
 / Director of Technology  | Arizona State University      \