[imp] Openldap and LDBM backend

Patrick Timmons ptimmons@courriel.polymtl.ca
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 18:37:14 -0400

Hi.

OpenLDAP needs to store its information somewhere. LDBM is a very simple db
interface. It is also available on every unix platform. Berkeley DB is prefered
because it provides B-tree indexing on the db.

OpenLDAP and LDAP in general are designed for fast retrieves and slower updates.
This is another factor in selecting Berkeley DB. Some Internet providers use
OpenLDAP for authentication for all services they offer. The large ones can
typicaly have several hundred thousand entries.

IMP needs from LDAP what any application using LDAP needs: fast access to a
directory that is mostly static. In this respect, OpenLDAP and hence Berkeley DB
is a very good choice.

P.Timmons