[imp] LDAP poll

John Morrissey jwm-imp@rpa.net
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 16:25:52 -0400

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 03:45:55PM -0400, Jon Parise wrote:
% I'd be grateful if any of you on this list who administrate LDAP
% installations could answer a quick question for me.
%
% Is it same to assume this will return a DN for a user on your system?
%
%     "$uid=$username,$rootdn"
%
% ... where $uid and $rootdn are configurable, and $username is the
% username with which the user logs into IMP.
%
% I'd like to eliminate a lot of code in the head tree's ldap
% preferences driver that performs an initial search to determine the
% value of $username (which is always the same as the username that user
% used to log in around here, anyway).

Personally, I set up all the LDAP trees I manage in this way. However, I've
encountered a bunch of installations where DNs are in the form cn=Full
Name,$rootdn or the like.

Also (correct me if I'm wrong), if you generate a DN in the code without
first performing a search, you're assuming that all users are directly under
a particular root DN; I would imagine that some organizations break users
off into different subtrees for logical and/or organizational purposes. For
example: uid=user1,ou=Engineering,o=BigCorp,c=US and
uid=user2,ou=Marketing,o=BigCorp,c=US. user1 and user2 are still in the same
namespace, but for whatever reason, they're split into two separate OUs.

john
--
John Morrissey      _o            /\         ----  __o
RPA Internet     _-< \_          /  \       ----  <  \,