MySQL session limits.

Chris Crowley ccrowley@tulane.edu
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 16:21:13 -0500

Horde Imps-

Thanks in advance for the feedback, and the time.

I am currently experiencing the following problem on an 500 MhZ IBM
Netfinity server with 128MB RAM which is serving both mysql and the httpd.

Occasionally, the server's CPU load average sky-rockets. Sometimes as high
as the 70's or 80's. If I restart the httpd server, the load average drops
and the server is working fine again. (The users seem to be using IMP more.)

Any similar experiences? I increased my max_connections setting to 300 about
one month ago. ( I had to hard code it into the startup script, because
putting it in my.cnf did not work.)

Some horde info from phpMyAdmin:

Database 'horde'
--------------------------
active_sessions        4374
imp_addr                852
imp_pref                213

Is that active sessions number realistic? Does that table get cleared when
the mysqld is restarted?

The result of ' mysqladmin extended-status'  :

+--------------------------+----------+
| Variable_name                | Value    |
+--------------------------+----------+
| Aborted_clients                 | 145      |
| Aborted_connects             | 10       |
| Created_tmp_tables           | 0        |
| Delayed_insert_threads       | 0        |
| Delayed_writes               | 0        |
| Delayed_errors               | 0        |
| Flush_commands           | 1        |
| Handler_delete               | 24637    |
| Handler_read_first           | 11       |
| Handler_read_key         | 555856   |
| Handler_read_next        | 278617   |
| Handler_read_rnd         | 12685860 |
| Handler_update               | 241331   |
| Handler_write                | 25164    |
| Key_blocks_used          | 443      |
| Key_read_requests        | 3480442  |
| Key_reads                    | 430      |
| Key_write_requests       | 440863   |
| Key_writes                   | 256257   |
| Max_used_connections     | 153      |
| Not_flushed_key_blocks   | 0        |
| Not_flushed_delayed_rows | 0        |
| Open_tables                      | 63       |
| Open_files                       | 22       |
| Open_streams                 | 0        |
| Opened_tables                | 274      |
| Questions                        | 1050414  |
| Running_threads              | 23       |
| Slow_queries                     | 356      |
| Uptime                           | 514259   |